Friday, January 15, 2010

Recovery

I had to take my sons cat to the vet earlier this week for a wound that was oozing pus. During the cleaning/irrigation of the wound, they ended up having to make an incision to drain a deeper pus pocket. Scout has a drain in her back and is not a happy camper. When I went back to pick her up, I asked the vet for a cone because I know Scout too well and knew that she'd lick and bite at the drain in her back. We have to irrigate it 3 times a day to flush out any remaining pus. It's a difficult thing to do because it is painful for her since the syringe has to go under the skin.

My heart breaks for her because she has hard time eating with the cone on. I took the cone off a few times, but she found that as an opportunity to run away to lick and bite her back. We have been hand feeding her. She desperately wants to go outside. As I sit here writing this, she's at the back door scratching to get out!


The drain in her back. The "hole" on the left is the original wound and the "hole" on the right in the incision the Vet had to make.
Photobucket

Wanting to go out back
Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: